- York County, SC | Chester County, SC | Lancaster, SC
September 15 - 17, 2023
- Stay at Kilburnie, one of South Carolina’s great luxury bed & breakfasts. Throughout our stay, we’ll also tour the historic Craig Farmhouse which dates from the late 18th and 19th centuries, and enjoy private dinners with our hosts Johnnaes Tromp and John Craig, featuring the culinary expertise of Chef Patrick Garrivier.
- Delicious private dinners, prepared by French chef, Patrick Garrivier
- Visit the Catawba Nation Visitors Center to learn the story of the only South Carolina tribe who were never forced out of state.
- A private visit to the Lancaster Fine Arts Center, an interesting story in historic preservation for what was once the Presbyterian Church
- The 1820s Lancaster County Courthouse – the work of South Carolina’s Robert Mills, the first American-born trained architect who also designed the Washington Monument.
- The architecturally lovely town of Winnsboro – enjoy lunch at the Cornwallis House Tearoom, and a private guided tour of the Cornwallis House, which dates to the American Revolution.
Culinary & Cultural Adventure in South Carolina’s “Outback”!
Calling all history lovers – and those of epicurean tastes – the red carpet is rolled out for us in the Olde English District! Savor private dinners by a local chef hired specially for our group; guided touring of historic homes; and colorful Carolina stories that span the centuries. We’ll make our home for two nights at Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm, near Lancaster, SC. From there, we’ll drive in every direction taking in some of the Southeast’s prettiest countryside, rife with intriguing and “off the radar” stories.
Join a small group of travelers for a weekend exploring South Carolina’s Olde English District, and a stay at beautiful Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm!
Why visit Kilburnie with Explore Up Close?
Spend two nights at beautiful Kilburnie, the Inn at Craig Farm––South Carolina’s top bed & breakfast, which dates back to the late 18th and 19th centuries! Kilburnie is one of our favorite inn experiences, and you’ll soon see why. The setting showcases the best of rural Piedmont beauty, and the house itself – and its property “cousin,” Craig Farm – are historic treasures, each with a unique story. We’ll enjoy a private tour of both properties during our stay. The inn’s owner, Johannes Tromp, is an acclaimed former restauranteur and the consummate host – preparing extraordinary breakfasts, sharing his wealth of knowledge about the Lancaster area, and offering world-class hospitality.
Exquisite Culinary Experiences
What’s for dinner? A private French chef, Patrick Garrivier, will be catering two outstanding multi-course dinners on site for our small group (keep scrolling for this trip’s featured menus – and yes, Chef Patrick can gladly cater to your dietary needs!). Dinners will also feature excellent wine pairings selected by our favorite sommelier, Kingsley Martin.
Historical & Cultural Exploration
Finally, discover South Carolina’s Olde English District with special site visits and stories connected to the region’s Native Americans, the early pioneers who traveled down the Great Wagon Road, and the American Revolution. We’ll also drive in every direction from Lancaster, taking in some of the Southeast’s prettiest countryside, filled with intriguing and “off the radar” stories.
Finally, our group will be graced by the musical genius of jazz pianist Noel Friedline and chanteuse Maria Howell during a performance at the Lancaster Cultural Arts Center – another splendid story of historic preservation.
Kilburnie, believed to be the oldest surviving dwelling in Lancaster, South Carolina, began as a federal-style cottage built circa 1827.
In 1999, Kilburnie was relocated to historic Craig Farm, and has been transformed into a welcoming and luxurious Bed and Breakfast Inn. Enjoy exploring the grounds, relaxing by the fire, and delightful hospitality (and home-cooked breakfasts!) from our welcoming hosts.
- Comfortable transportation
- Accommodation for 2 nights
- Breakfast, 2 lunches, and 2 dinners with wine
- All activities / admissions per the itinerary
- Guide and concierge service throughout the trip
$1,878 / person (double occupancy; single supplement, $225)
What's Not Included
Price does not include one lunch, additional alcohol, or optional trip insurance.
..well-planned, from interesting and fun excursions planned each day, to comfortable lodging and transportation. Our trip leaders, Chumley and Khal, were impressive with their knowledge of each area we explored and gracious in their planning of every aspect of our trips.
Trip insurance safeguards your travel investment, your belongings, and most importantly, you. Though trip insurance is optional, we strongly encourage travelers to purchase trip insurance in the event you have to cancel or leave a trip for any reason. Please note, all trip participants should wait for confirmation from Explore Up Close that the trip has the minimum sign-up required to be a “go” before purchasing travel insurance. Please confirm with Explore Up Close before making any additional travel arrangements.
Once you have received confirmation from Explore Up Close, we recommend contacting a travel insurance provider directly to request a quote and compare pricing and features. You can find other providers that may fit your needs at www.insuremytrip.com, or we can gladly connect you with our travel agent.
This trip departs from Greenville / Spartanburg, South Carolina and Asheville, North Carolina. If you live elsewhere, please contact us to discuss travel arrangements, and we will look forward to assisting you!