- The New River Gorge National Park
- Wytheville, VA
- Lewisburg, WV
- Timber towns & Appalachian stories!
October 4 – 8, 2023
- Spend one night at the Bowling-Wilson Hotel (old 1920s hotel, named for Woodrow Wilson’s second wife Edith Bowling Wilson) in Wytheville, VA
- The New River Gorge – home to one of the world’s most ancient rivers, and the country’s newest national park
- Great lodging & dining at the beautifully restored General Lewis Inn (featured in Vogue magazine…well then!)
- Enjoy a ride on a scenic steam train from the timber town of Cass
Let’s go see the latest National Park: The New River Gorge National Park! Join us for a classic small group adventure, as we explore beautiful southern West Virginia, including the New River Gorge National Park and great West Virginia stories, from the coal mining and timber days to the thermal springs that have attracted well-heeled tourists for centuries. We’ll stay at the classy General Lewis Inn in Lewisburg, one of the South’s prettiest towns, and the antebellum birthplace of author Pearl Buck. Let us do the driving as we enjoy quaint charm, fascinating regional stories and idyllic backroads through Appalachia!
The General Lewis Inn
Named after a prominent general in the French & Indian War, the General Lewis is comprised of 24 luxurious rooms and suites in a restored 1834 and 1928 historic building.
The East wing is an 1834 historic residence, and the West wing was built onto the residence and made into a hotel in the 1920s. We have honored our building's bones and elegant architecture by making careful design choices that highlight historic features.
- Comfortable transportation
- Accommodation for 4 nights
- Breakfasts, 3 lunches, and 3 dinners
- All activities / admissions per the itinerary
- Guide and concierge service throughout the trip
Price: $2,853 (double occupancy; single supplement, $490)
What's Not Included
Price does not include alcohol, other meals, or optional trip insurance.
..well-planned, from interesting and fun excursions planned each day, to comfortable lodging and transportation. Our trip leaders, Chumley and Khal, were impressive with their knowledge of each area we explored and gracious in their planning of every aspect of our trips.
Trip insurance safeguards your travel investment, your belongings, and most importantly, you. Though trip insurance is optional, we strongly encourage travelers to purchase trip insurance in the event you have to cancel or leave a trip for any reason. Please note, all trip participants should wait for confirmation from Explore Up Close that the trip has the minimum sign-up required to be a “go” before purchasing travel insurance. Please confirm with Explore Up Close before making any additional travel arrangements.
Once you have received confirmation from Explore Up Close, we recommend contacting a travel insurance provider directly to request a quote and compare pricing and features. You can find other providers that may fit your needs at www.insuremytrip.com, or we can gladly connect you with our travel agent.
This trip departs from Greenville / Spartanburg, South Carolina and Asheville, North Carolina. If you live elsewhere, please contact us to discuss travel arrangements, and we will look forward to assisting you!