Outback of Beaufort and Savannah: The Literary South
September 27 - October 1, 2020
Edisto River | Beaufort, SC | Daufuskie Island | Savannah | Pin Point, GA
A Mindful Adventure Into The South’s Past
Let’s trek south and east, into the Low Country skeletons of the South’s past – skeletons that have always lain near the surface. We’ll wind our way along riverine and island backroads, uncovering hidden gems of places – vine-covered, preserved, rich. We’ll learn about the South in the background of novels by Conroy, Berendt, and O’Connor, visiting places central to the stories, as well as interpretive sites and local experts. We’ll enjoy the historic settings of two wonderful inns (Beaufort, two nights; Savannah, two nights) – our bases, as we launch our inquiries into race, religion, the martial tradition, and the counter-currents that have defined the South. Sounds boring, right?
• Visits to private home sites, and literary centers, associated with some of the region’s most acclaimed authors
• Elegant accommodations in the lovely Rhett House Inn in Beaufort, SC (2 nights) and the Kehoe House in Savannah, GA (2 nights)
• Backroads drives, poignant ruins, cemeteries – including the ruins of Sheldon Church, Savannah's Bonaventure Cemetery, and the colonial site of Wormsloe
• Guided touring on Daufuskie Island – setting of Conroy’s The Water is Wide, and rich in Gullah Sea Island culture
• The Penn Center on St. Helena Island - one of the most significant African-American historical sites in the country, and the first school in the South established for former slaves
• The Gullah-Geechee culture of Pin Point - a close-knit community on the banks of the Moon River outside of Savannah, founded by freedmen after the Civil War
$2,530 / person (double occupancy; single supplement, $590)
Price includes comfortable transportation, accommodation with breakfast for four (4) nights, 4 lunches and 3 dinners, all activities / admissions per the itinerary, guide and concierge service throughout the trip. Price does not include alcohol, other meals, personal expenditures, or optional trip insurance.
Click the button below to register online, or click here for a printable trip registration form.
(864) 384 - 6947
Explore Up Close
PO Box 9537
Greenville, SC 29604